It became a bit of a nightmare to maintain a build thread on five different forums, each having their own ‘per post’ image limitation. I decided it was time to migrate everything over to a stick on my site to simplify things.
This post will list the modifications and a bit of the story behind my 2008 STi. I will update this as time permits with timelines and other information regarding the path that led me to having a nearly non-daily-driveable daily-driver. #becausedailydrivenracecar
Please be sure to check out the following forums as they all have a great wealth of information to share;
2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi – RDKLSTi
- Tuner: William Knose, Delicious Tuning
- Dyno: Mustang AWD, Infamous Performance
- Weather: 62 Fahrenheit, 44% Humidity, 646ft Elevation
- 29 Psi – 518whp, 492wtq
- Outfront Motorsports closed deck EJ257 with pinned mains
- Outfront Motorsports AVCS pin service
- Outfront Motorsports spec 1/2″ ARP head studs
- STi JDM 12mm oil pump
- Molnar 79mm billet crankshaft
- ARP 2000 case bolts
- CP Pistons – 99.75mm 9:1 (coated crown & skirt) with upgraded wrist pins
- Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beam Rods
- Race ported heads from SoCal Porting
- GSC stage 2 cams
- Supertech dual valve spring & titanium retainer kit
- Supertech +1mm stainless intake valves
- Supertech +1mm inconel exhaust valves
- Bowl blended heads (for larger valves)
- King rod & main bearings
- Gates Racing timing belt
- Killer B oil pan, baffle & pickup tube
- JE/Athena pro-seal head gaskets
- Rotated GTX3576R
- Perrin rotated 2″ uppipe (T3)
- Custom rotated 3″ downpipe with QTP electric cutout
- Perrin 3″ intake with K&N filter & pre-filter
- Perrin EL Big-Tube header
- Perrin EBCS
- Perrin/Setrab oil cooler
- Tial MV-R 44mm EWG
- Fluidampr Crank Pulley
- TurboSmart Supersonic BOV
- Maddad Essentials Street Series Cat-back
- TurboXS FMIC core with custom charge piping (by KPowered)
- TGV delete & port, throttle body & intake manifold ported (by SoCalPorting)
- Rotated stock intake manifold
- KSTech 9.5mm phenolic spacers
- Koyo Radiator with Mishimoto hoses
- Perrin AOS
- Perrin/Setrab Oil Cooler
- Perrin Thermal turbo & uppipe blankets
- Radium pump hanger with (2x) AEM 50-1200
- Radium multi-pump regulator
- Radium top-feed rails with pulse dampeners
- Injector Dynamics 2000CC injectors
- Fuelab 6 micron micro-Fiberglass Element
- Continental Ethanol content analyzer
- DelicousTuning FlexFuel Kit
- EcuTek ProECU
- AEM IAT sensor (tapped just before throttle-body)
- AEM 5-bar MAP sensor with Cobb MAP sensor adapter
- NGK 1-step colder plugs
- Driveshaft Shop Carbon driveshaft
- CompClutch Rigid Twin-Disc clutch
- Torque Solution pitch-stop
- Torque Solution engine mounts
- Torque Solution transmission mount
- Whiteline steering rack bushings
- Whiteline transmission crossmember bushings
- Whiteline gearbox mount bushings (positive shift kit)
- Whiteline Rear Diff fully polyurethane bushings, front & rear
- Kartboy shifter bushings
- Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC coilovers
- Whiteline 22mm adjustable front & rear swaybars
- Whiteline front control arm inner-front bushings
- Whiteline anti-lift kit
- Kartboy front & rear solid endlinks
- Grimmspeed master cylinder brace
- Goodridge stainless steel lines
- StopTech Power Slot front & rear rotors
- Hawk HP+ front & rear pads
- SSR Type-F matte black 17×9.5 +40
- Michelin PilotSport PS2 275/40
- McGard spline drive lugs (black)
- ATI triple gauge pod
- -Innovate MTX-D Boost/Shift Light
- -Innovate MTX-D Oil Pressure/Temp
- -Innovate MTX-D EGT
- SMY gauge bezel
- -Gauges: AEM UEGO Wideband
- 15% tint all around
- Weathertech floor liners front & rear
- GTSpec aluminum undertray (splashguard)
- Hexis 3D carbon roof wrap
- Hexis 3D carbon front bumper sectional wrap
- HTAutos full lip kit
- Rally Armor V2 mudflaps (black/grey)
- Painted OEM grill/mustache
Roof Rack Subaru factory rails Inno medium fairing (40″) Yakima Frontloader bike racks with lock cores
Click on any image below to see a larger version.
Dec 7, 2015
Finished engine bay and first fire video.
Dec 5, 2015
Worked on the engine bay, fabbed a bracket for expansion tank.
Dec 3, 2015
Exhaust fab done, small changes and added Y-pipe for QTP cutout.
Nov 16, 2015
Resprayed intake, intake manifold and charge pipes wrinkle black.
Nov 15, 2015
Fabbed MPR & Y-Splitter bracket & made Teflon fuel lines.
Nov 11, 2015
Corn-injection components from radium.
Nov 6, 2015
Picked up the engine from Outfront!
Oct 30, 2015
Perrin/Setrab oil cooler and Hella horns shenanigans.
Sept 13, 2015
Rear diff back in, Driveshaft Shop carbon driveshaft installed.
Aug 30, 2015
Full gamut of poly bushings for the rear end.
Aug 15, 2015
The Driveshaft Shop carbon 1 piece drive shaft, next to OEM counterpart.
Apr 16, 2015
Boxes of parts are always exciting.
Mar 27, 2015
Raced ported heads from SoCal Porting
Jan 15, 2015
Installed TurboSmart Supersonic BOV.
Nov 8, 2014
Replaced STi Group-N mounts with Torque Solution mounts (engine, transmission and pitch-stop).
Sept 12, 2014
Super happy with the power for now, but we ran out of fuel at 23 Psi. I see 30+ Psi in my future after adjusting and making some fuel delivery changes.
15 Psi – 367whp, 326wtq [S]
23 Psi – 454whp, 391wtq [S#]
July 31, 2014
Finally got it running this week. Just need to sort out a couple fitment issues and start breaking it in.
July 27, 2014
Snagged an angle-grinder from Home Depot and fabbed up a throttle body spacer.
July 26, 2014
Engine bay finally complete (a couple things to clean up, but it’s fireable).
July 19, 2014
Charge pipes fabbed up today.
July 18, 2014
Couple odds n’ ends, mached up everything in the engine bay to get charge pipes fabricated the following day.
July 17, 2014
Modded intake manifold and throttle body so I could rotate the intake manifold.
July 15, 2014
Received the Fluidampr crank pulley. Installed that and the Competition Rigid Twin clutch, then put the engine in the chassis.
July 12, 2014
Made some progress bolting parts to the engine and prepping for the install.
July 11, 2014
EGT bung welded onto cylinder #4 runner, put a “cat” on my Perrin rotated downpipe; bonus picture of shop cat at K-Powered.
July 8, 2014
Re-organized my gauges over the weekend, knocked a few other things off the list; received my EcuTek ProECU kit from Delicious Tuning today.
July 3, 2014
Picked the engine from Outfront Motorsports, stopped by my favorite food joint on the way home (mmm, PORTILLOS!).
My son, Liam, is ready for boost; are you?!
July 2, 2014
Received some assembly pictures from Outfront Motorsports.
June 23, 2014
Stopped by Outfront Motorsports to check out the newly pinned closed deck case halves.
June 19, 2014
Snagged up a couple 55 gallon drums from a buddy to stock up on E85.
June 8, 2014
Sent an email to Outfront Motorsports to proceed with finishing the build.
Yeah, it’s a pretty lame update; but I was pretty excited so it got documented. 😉