Recently started having an issue using my clipboard in OWA (Outlook Web Access). I wasn’t able to paste, either via keyboard shortcut or right-click menu. I would have to first paste into a blank word document and then highlight and drag the text into the OWA editor window. I’m not sure if its related to Windows 8 or the 8.1 upgrade, Internet Explorer 11, or the Exchange 2013 environment. Regardless, this is how I worked around the problem. (more…)
Recently I received an RMA replacement for a CS-MARS-20 unit that had a failing drive. Thankfully we were able to get a configuration backup at its current version (6.1.5), so once the new appliance was received I was able to use the recovery image available from Cisco’s download site to get it to 6.1.5. After that I restored the configuration and everything was back to normal, but we needed to get onto the latest version (6.1.8). (more…)
I got around to upgrading to Office 2013 from 2010 today on my Windows 8 machine and ran into an issue with the “Windows Font Cache Service.” I didn’t think to screenshot the error, but it occurred right after I chose the options I wanted and clicked the ‘Upgrade’ button. The installer didn’t hang, it just wasn’t able to progress at all and gave me the message about being unable to stop the service. I tried to stop it manually from the services management console, which failed with an error stating it couldn’t be stopped and to contact my system administrator.
I’m not one to carry on conversations with myself so I did some searching and most of the results said to uninstall the previous version before installing 2013, but there’s an easier way…